Announcing Nessus Professional v7 – Providing
greater flexibility for security practitioners, consultants and pen-testers
Starting with version 7, we are intensifying our focus on ease-of-use, performance and accuracy so you can get the job done even faster and more confidently. In v7, we’ve made license transfers easier and enhanced report personalization. We’ve also made adjustments to some features that you should be aware of. Please read the following important information.
If you have an active Nessus Professional license before December 12, 2017, you can remain on your current version or update to Nessus Pro v7.x, and you will retain all features you have had previously. Updating from v6.x to v7 features is a two-step process. The first step is to receive v7 via auto-update or manual update. The update by itself merely makes v7 features available, but will not enable the new v7 features or disable your previous ones. For instance, if you want to keep using the v6 features, you do not have to do anything else, and can continue using these features through December 31, 2018. We will continue to fix major bugs and security issues with v6.x. However, you will not benefit from any new features released on v7. You are eligible to stay on your current version of Nessus Professional v6.x, which will be fully supported, until December 31, 2018. As of January 1, 2019, all Nessus Professional users will be required to update to version 7.x to maintain support and updates.
If you want to enable and use the v7 features, you must take a second step: Within the product, click the link in the banner at the top of any screen to get the new v7 features. Then accept the new Software License and Subscription Agreement, and choose to update to Nessus Professional v7. Be aware that you will lose the ability to add new users or use the API for scanning, so do this only when you are ready. The Nessus v7.x release allows existing customers to try the new features available in Nessus Pro 7 through an easy update process, and to revert back to the legacy v6.x feature set - this can be done as many times as desired through December 31, 2018.
If you purchase Nessus Professional on or after December 12, 2017, you will only be eligible for Nessus Professional version 7.0 and above. If you are looking for API access to vulnerability scanning, we recommend you look at our Tenable.io solution.
Technical Integration Partners
If you are leveraging Nessus directly within your product to control, start, or stop scans, you will need to migrate to an integration with our enterprise solutions Tenable.io or SecurityCenter by December 31, 2018. You can learn more about our technology partner program, Tenable Assure, here.
We have made several important changes to this version of Nessus that will benefit our faithful Nessus customers.
Easily transferable license
The wait period has been eliminated, making it quicker to transfer your license between computers. Also, the MAC address restriction is relaxed, allowing you to freely use Nessus in more cloud environments.
Email scan reports upon completion and add your own custom name and logo
This simplifies and speeds the delivery of scan reports after completion, and allows you to customize reports for your business.
Multi-user no longer supported
With the increased license flexibility in v7, there is no longer a need for multiple users and therefore that function is removed. (During update, existing users will be retained, although you won't be able to create new ones.)
Scanning operations are now via UI
The ability to manage scans via API and CLI has been removed in v7. Automated scanning is better served by the API in our Tenable.io solution. All Nessus Pro scanning operations must be done through the user interface.
Interact with millions of Nessus users across the globe
The Tenable Community - Get your answers, knowledge, and have your Tenable conversations all in one destination!Tenable Community
Nessus Professional v7 offers the following major differences from v6.x:
- Easily transferable license. The 10-day waiting period to transfer a license has been removed, allowing for quick and simple license transfers between computers. The MAC address restriction has also been removed, allowing users to freely use Nessus in more cloud environments or in a live distribution like Kali Linux.
- Emailed scan reports and custom report name/logo. Users can have a scan report automatically emailed to a recipient once a scan is complete. This simplifies and expedites the delivery of the scan report. A user can add his/her company name and logo into a Nessus scan report, enhancing the professionalism and personalization of the end product.
- Multi-user support is removed. Existing customers can retain their existing users, but they will not be able to create new ones once they update to v7 via the two-step process.
- Access to the API for scanning is removed. Nessus Professional is designed to perform scan functions through the UI only. The scan API capabilities will remain operational through December 31, 2018, provided that users do not opt in to the v7 features. We recognize that many users export the scan data to create their own reports, so we have retained those capabilities in all versions of Nessus Professional, including v7. The scan API capabilities removed in Nessus Professional v7 are available in Tenable.io Vulnerability Management for those seeking additional automation and management capabilities.
No, these changes only affect Nessus Professional v7 for users who opt in to them. Multi-user and API capabilities for SecurityCenter and Nessus Manager are unchanged.
No, all pricing remains unchanged.
Yes, we will continue to fully support Nessus Professional 6.x through December 31, 2018. This includes fixing major bugs and security issues for v6.x through December 31, 2018. However, customers remaining on v6.x will not receive feature updates going into v7.x
No. Existing customers can update to v7 features when they are ready, through a two-step process. Customers will receive the new version either through auto-update or manual update, as usual, but this step alone will not enable v7 features. Even though the Nessus version has updated to v7, customers retain their existing features until they perform a second step. See the next section for more information.
Updating from v6.x to v7 features is a two-step process. The first step is to receive v7 via auto-update or manual update. This update by itself merely makes v7 features available, but will not enable the new v7 features or disable previous ones. If the user wants to keep using the v6 features, they do not have to do anything else, and can continue using these features through December 31, 2018. We will continue to fix major bugs and security issues with v6.x. However, the user will not benefit from any new features released on v7.
If the user wants to enable and use the v7 features, they must take a second step: Within the product, click the link in the banner at the top of any screen to get the new v7 features. Then accept the new Software License and Subscription Agreement, and choose to update to Nessus Professional v7. The user will lose the ability to add new users or use the API for scanning, so it is important to do this only when ready.
If customers do not wish to retain the v7 features, there is a way to revert back to pre-v7 features within the product. Under Settings, there is a tab labelled “Revert from Pro 7”. Click the “Restore” button to revert to pre-v7 features. Note that this will revert to Nessus Professional v6.11.3 only. There is no option of reverting to any previous version.
Yes, Nessus Professional 6.x will continue to be supported through December 31, 2018. This includes fixing major bugs and security issues for v6.x. However, the majority of new features and enhancements will be for Nessus Professional v7 only.
No. Current Nessus v6.x users will retain all existing functionality until Dec 31, 2018 as long as they maintain an active license.
- Existing customers that have Nessus Professional prior to December 12, 2017 are not required to update to v7 features until Dec 31, 2018. If they renew after December 12, 2017, they are still eligible to stay on v6.x and are not required to update until December 31, 2018.
- New customers that purchase Nessus Professional on or after December 12, 2017 will only be able to use v7 and above.
After December 31, 2018, users with active licenses using Nessus Professional version below v7.0 will no longer get plugin updates. They will be warned of this and can continue using their outdated Nessus Professional versions, but do so at their own risk as these versions will not be officially supported.